Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quilt 2 Progress

So I spent some time today sewing. It was so much fun! I made a few mistakes in my cutting, but fortunately I was able to save them.

Mistake 1: Instead of cutting 24 of my red half square triangles into a 2 inch wide piece, I cut all 48. I didn't realize I would need the other 24 half square triangles to finish the wheel center. Luckily, I had just enough red fabric left to recover!

Mistake 2: I cut the black tire pieces too far apart on the black fabric, plus I cut my binding at 2 1/2 inches instead of 2 1/4 inches, so I ran out of black solid!! Fortunately, I had a black with grey circles print that looked good, and I had just enough to do the last 2 tires, so I was able to save myself again.

You can kind of see the grey circles in this one....
And here are the black solid tires. The instructions called for paper-backed fusible web, but never said anything about how you were supposed to use it. So, I decided that I would use 4 strips on the edge of each tire center to hold it onto the black wheel itself. The directions said to stitch the centers onto the tire with a small zig-zag stitch in a matching color. Since my new sewing machine has a circular sewing attachment, I was really excited to use this. Oh how well it worked! It was fabulous!
This is the progress I made today. Except for the black side sashing, the quilt center is complete! Yay! Now I just have to finish the sashing and then attach the three borders, and I'll be done.
This is a close up of the completed wheels. You can't really tell, but they are zig-zag stitched onto the blue background. It was really quick and easy with my machine.

I'm hoping to finish it within the next few days. Then I just have to buy backing fabric. A few people have suggested solid red, but I'm leaning more towards solid black, and then quilting it in a bright red so it will show up on the back, and be reversible without losing the design. I have a lot of ideas for how to quilt this, so hopefully it all works out!

6 comments:

Gina said...

It looks great and I love the idea of the reversible quilting.

love and hugs xxx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your cars quilt looks fantastic

Anonymous said...

WOW! And I thought that making cards was tedious!! Back when (100 years) I made quilts, for some stupid reason I cut ALL of my squares into fourths....Which meant that I had four times the sewing ahead of me to make one square of the original size.

I think that was my last quilt. lol

Darlin, if you love my cards that much (and thank you, thank you, thank you) just email me your address and I'll send you several ones that are blank on the inside so that YOU can send them to friends.

danawyzard@insightbb.com

Blakely said...

This quilt looks great. I like the idea of the black backing with red thread.

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow, nice job! It looks like such a fun project.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Amazingly cute quilt!