Monday, June 2, 2008

I finally finished it!

You might recall from an April post that I had finally finished a quilt top for my aunt's adopted baby. Well, it has been sitting in my kitchen waiting to be bound for about a month now. Today, while we were up at my parent's for my dad's birthday my aunt called. Apparently they are staying in the same city we live in, and want to come visit. Let's just say that I freaked out a little. After we got home, I dug out the binding fabric, made the binding, sewed it to the quilt and got blind-stitching that baby! About 3 hours later, or however long the second disc of the Colin Firth A&E Pride and Prejudice is, it was finished. YAY!! Here are some pictures of the end result.
This is the quilt top with the binding. Sorry the colors are so dark. I turned on all the lights, but my lamp wasn't plugged in, and Mike needed the outlet, so I had to improvise a little. I used the Yellow Brick Road pattern, and tried to stick with fun patterns in basic primary colors.
I quilted it with dark green thread in a loops with stars pattern all-over. It ended up really cute. I kind of thought maybe I should do it in yellow because of the stars, but the backing was green, and yellow would have just looked odd I think. I'm really pleased with how well it turned out. Some of my fabrics were giving the machine some issues due to the texture and thickness, but we worked through it and got it looking good!
The binding I used was a red with off-white stars scattered across it. It almost perfectly matched the red and white dot fabric I used on the top. The backing is really cute. I totally fell in love with it when I saw it at Jo-Ann's. It is green with dark and light green frogs. Such a fun print, don't you think?!

Anyway, I'm super excited to give this to my aunt, and I can't wait to meet her little boy. I think he is 2, so he is just a little older than Marshy-marsh. I'm really glad it is done, because now I only have one quilt sitting in my kitchen waiting to be bound. For those of you wondering why the kitchen, it's because I don't have a solid enough table to use my machine on, so I sew on the kitchen counters. My table I use as a cutting table (it's a tiny little card table), and my ironing board is set up in the hallway. Aren't I so good at improvising with what I have? hahaha Someday, someday, I will have a nice sewing table. Until then....I'll stick with the kitchen! :)

2 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh its so cute and the machine quilting is so nice. Super super job! Thanks for the birthday wishes, too.

Anonymous said...

What an undertaking! I am so amazed by quilters! I hope they realize what a heirloom gift you've given them!