Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I go to the professionals for THIS??

I got my oil changed about 9 days ago, at a local Jiffy Lube. I have never had a problem with Jiffy Lube. I used to go to Wal-mart, but they put the wrong kind of oil in once, and they cost the same as Jiffy Lube, so I switched. Plus, Jiffy Lube supposedly vacuums your carpets.....I have yet to have my carpets vacuumed, but they claim they do it.

Anyway, the other night Mike and I saw a commercial for KFC's new sauceless spicy chicken wings. They come in a bucket of 20 for $9.99. We decided to get some, so while Mike stayed home and tried to get Marshy to sleep, I ran out to get some chicken.

My car has been making some weird noises....noises like it makes when it's low on oil. So, while I waited for them to make my wings, I popped the hood to check the oil. This is what I saw:

Yes, that is where you put the oil in. Yes there is no cap. Want to know where the cap was? So did I. Fortunately, I found it. This is where I found it:
Yes, it is wedged down between one of the belts and the engine. Not really a good place for your oil cap to be. Now, the first thing that came to mind was "Oh no they didn't!" Then, I recalled my visit......

{flashback about 9 days ago, it was a very slow day at the Jiffy Lube as I was their only customer}

tech: now, your oil wasn't registering on your dipstick, so we recommend the engine flush. It's $50.

me: Sorry, didn't budget for that this month.

tech gives me the "you don't take good care of your car" stare. I hate that stare!

me: But I'll try to budget for it next time?

tech: Ok. Also, it looks like you need a radiator flush. It's $50.

me: Well, I just had my radiator replaced a few months ago, so they did that for me.

tech: We could tell. Everything looks good up there.

me: {then why were you trying to sell me a flush??? Grrr!}

tech: Also, you need a new air filter, $14, and a new pcv valve, $7.

me: I replaced my pcv valve last winter, and my husband will take care of the air filter.

tech: {gives me the stare again.} The air filter is really dirty, but ....I guess we won't worry about those then. {Again gives me the stare}

Well....$45 later, an oil change and a new license plate light bulb later (which I later found out would've only cost me like $2 at the parts store) I was ready to go. They gave me my receipt and I drove off.

{flash forward to the other day}

I decided to review my receipt. First of all, they said they gave me a new sticker. I checked....I still have the same sticker that says my oil change was due in January or when I reached 105,000 miles. Well, I just reached the mileage, so I went in. But now I don't have a new reminder sticker, so how am I supposed to remember when I need to go in?

Secondly, the receipt said I was 1/2 quart low when I got there. If I was a 1/2 quart low then I would have registered on the dip stick. So, if I was registering, why did they tell me I didn't? And why did the try to sell me the flush? Probably because they wanted all of my money!!

Thirdly, they said they had performed a quality inspection on the vehicle. If they performed a quality inspection, then doncha think they would've found the missing oil cap?? I'm thinking that even though it was a slow day, and they got me in and out within 10 minutes, they weren't doing a good enough job if they missed something major like that!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to make a call. I'm not usually one to actually call. I usually just complain for a day or so and then forget about it. But this was bad. Putting the cap back on is the simplest of tasks, and yet they failed to do it. Plus, I am now low on oil. This shouldn't happen after only 9 days....And I know I don't have an oil leak. Hopefully they will learn from their errors and this won't happen to anyone else.

5 comments:

Gina said...

I'd be round there jumping up and down on someone's head.
Demand a full check as no oil could mean serious problems to your engine.
I swear these mechanics think because you're a woman they can pull one on you.
DH is a diesel fitter so when I go into a garage I'm armed with enough knowledge to frighten the life out of them. Some of them will actually hide when I pull into the yard. Once they tried to tell me that I needed a new exhaust ( about US$1000 worth) I demanded to see what was wrong, I got a cloth and wiped away the dirt that was apparently a great big hole. They got reported to the Ministy of Transport for that one.

Give them hell.

Love and hugs Gina xx

Anonymous said...

I stopped going to Jiffy Lube because they were always telling all the things that I needed and I never got out with the $9.99 special. It all came to a head the day they flushed and filled my radiator.......well they flushed it alright and didn't FILL IT. One new radiator later and I go to the dealership now.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Oh if I was the kind of person who could do confrentation I would so do it. Unfortunatly I am a big chicken. If the cap isn't on the oil can spout out the top ocassionally. So that is probably why you are low.
If Gina lives near you I would take her with me. She sounds like she can kick some serious butt.

Jillybean said...

I had one experience at Jiffy lube, and swore to never go back!
My brother had just replaced my air filter a few days before, and they told me it was so dirty that I needed a new one.
They also said I needed my transmission fluid flushed and replaced because it was leaking.
The thing I find interesting, is that every time a guy I know walks into that place, they get just the oil change. I really do think they are trained to target women.

Anonymous said...

My father is a mechanic with 30+ years of experience and there is one thing he taught me-- stores like Jiffy Lube are trained to look out for the bottom line. So if I have work done by someone other than him I have learned to go to a small mom and pop shop. Maybe not as convenient, but cheaper in the long run. Ask friends for recommendations as they're the best way to get a good mechanic.