Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Quilt 5...but will it get finished in time??

Once there was a young mother who saw the latest issue of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting on her local magazine stand. Being the kind of person who loves quilting, and especially this publication, she opened it and saw several quilts she wanted to make.

Among them were this one: The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
She went to several quilt fabric websites and priced out the fabric she would need for the project. Her total before shipping was over $100!! She knew her husband would never allow her to spend that much just for a quilt for their little boy, so she decided to order the kit from the magazine instead....even though it said that fabrics in kits would be similar to the ones shown in the magazine. The kit was on backorder, and she had completely forgotten about it. UNTIL.....

The company charged her credit card. She received no notification or email, however, so didn't know when to expect her package. Today when she arrived home from a long and very HOT day at work, she discovered a small package tucked in the corner of the doorway.

She went inside and opened it and much to her surprise, this is what she found:

Her kit had arrived. She was so excited. She laid out all the fabrics and was so happy to see they were all from the Very Hungry Caterpillar collection!!
Aren't they so fun and bright??
She even started cutting out the pieces to put the quilt together. She has decided that this will be quilt 5 for the Finish 5 by end of July challenge. It should be fairly easy to piece together, and she can't wait to get it done!

Okay, I'm done referring to myself in the third person. I've used the backspace bar so much throughout this post...replacing "I" with "she" that I'm tired of using my brain! So, I'm really happy it's finally here, and tomorrow I'm staying home to quilt (and clean).

As for the challenge...I'm a little concerned I might not get all 5 quilted by the end of the month. I had a client bring me 2 quilts today that she is going to show at a local quilt show, and I have to have them done before we go on vacation on the 19th. Yikes! I also have another quilt for a family friend that I need to do. Then, I got a call from a potential client, and she might or might not want me to do 3 runners for her. Plus, I still have one of Mike's aunt Karen's quilts (which probably could wait, except that it's been there for over 1 year!). So, hopefully I can get everything done in time to give me some time to quilt my own things this month. There are a few quilts that I could probably do on my machine while I'm on vacation....but we'll see how well that goes. I've only ever used a long-arm, so I'm not sure how I'll do on smaller one. I will definitely be keeping ya'all posted with my progress!

1 comment:

Blakely said...

I can't wait to see how it turn out.