Sunday, July 6, 2008

No wonder it was shaking!!

So, lately my car has been shaking a lot. Last night it was so bad on our way home that we honestly thought the car was going to fall apart. Mike and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. We thought maybe the transmission fluid was all gone, and it was a tranny problem. Then we thought maybe it was an engine knock that had somehow developed. Then Mike thought that maybe it was the engine mount.

He got online and did some research. Turns out that some other guy on the forum he was reading had a '94, and they were telling him that he was long overdue for changing his engine mount. Apparently if you can stick a Bic pen in betweeen the rubber and the mount, then it is overdue for changing it. We went out to check ours, and we could fit 2 1/2 Bic pens in it!! We ran over to Checker, bought the mount, and drove over to Mike's parents' to switch it out. Here are some pictures of the mounts.

This is the one we took out of my car. Now, you tell me if you think we were well overdue??
Can you see the part in the middle that Mike is holding with the blue paper towel? Well, that was all broken and loose, and was almost to the point of coming out! No wonder my car was so noisy! My engine was rocking all over the place!!
This is the brand spanking new one all installed in the car. Yay! No gap!! I wanted to take a picture to show how bad the old one was, but Mike didn't tell me he was ready to work on it until after he had it installed. He came downstairs and told me to go check it out. I asked him if he fixed it, and he said it was okay, but that I should go find out. I went out and turned the car on, and I couldn't even tell it was on! I had to turn the AC down just to make sure that I had actually turned the car on!! It sounds like a brand new car now! I'm so happy!! YAY!!

4 comments:

Gina said...

I think our cars may have been separated at birth. Everything makes a noise with mine. I can tell what speed I'm doing by the noise it's making rather than looking at the speedo. It gets me where I need to go though so I can't complain too much.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Nanette Merrill said...

Ugh I hate car problems. We always have old cars and they usually come with problems. But its better than a car payment!

camperbob said...

bravo, mike. I am so glad it didn't have a problem while at high speed.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Good job on the fixing. I bet that you are so glad it is fixed.