I decided to start on Chelsey's quilt. She is a "friend" of ours, and she just had a baby girl in February. I know, I know, I'm way late with the whole baby quilt thing. I'm trying at least, that should count for something, right?! Anyway, I had half of the blocks sewn together. It really wasn't a difficult quilt. It's a nine patch that you cut apart, rearrange, and sew back together. It looks really cute when it's done. One of my clients brought me the pattern, and I thought I'd try it.
Well, due to a cutting miscalculation, which tends to happen a lot when I am cutting late at night. Just ask Mike or Angel's son Jase, I ended up cutting my nine patch down to 11 inches, I cut it down to 10 1/2, which is what it ends up at once you've sewn it back together. OOPS! Well, I decided to make half of the blocks nine patches, and half the sewn back together nine patches. It actually turned out pretty cool looking, I think.
It kind of looks like it was one of those really hard and tricky quilts to put together, but in reality, it was really easy!
This is a close up. The backing fabric is a really pretty dark purple with cream colored stars all over. I just bought the binding today, and it is SO CUTE! It is a hot pink with dragonflies! I'm so excited to quilt this one and get it bound. It will be so cute when it's done. Don't worry, I'll include pictures! :)
The other progress I've made is that I have completely cut and sewn the quilt I'm making for my Aunt Judy. She and her husband, Tom, just adopted a 2 year old baby boy from Guatemala. I guess it has been a trial to get him home, but they finally have him. He may be 2, but he is still getting a quilt! It is cute, too. I used bright colors with fun patterns. I found the backing and binding fabric today, and I absolutely LOVE it. I will have pictures tomorrow probably, when the quilt top is all sewn together and the back is seamed.
In other news...I spent WAY too much money at the fabric store. I just kept finding fun things and cute fabrics! The girl at the cutting counter looked like she was about to die when I handed her the muslin I wanted and told her 9 yards. "9 yards? Are you sure?" she asked. "Yep!" I smiled back. She had to remeasure three times before she got it right and dared cut it. I felt really bad. Plus I had about 10 other things of fabric I needed cut. She was probably wondering why she got stuck with the "demanding" lady with all the fabric. (I was demanding because I needed exactly three yards of this one fabric, and despite her efforts to try and sell me all 2 3/4 yards of it, I would have none. I used a different fabric instead. I don't think she was too happy with me.) Oh well. Joann's Fabrics in Orem sure will have lots of business from me now that I am making aprons and quilts and slipcovers and pillows and curtains and all other sorts of crafty crap that I probably don't need! hahahaha
More updates later! For now, it's time to go cut or sew something!