Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sewing Casualties

Have you ever been sewing, and maybe sewed your finger by accident? How about snagging your finger on a pin as you brushed your hand over the fabric to make sure it was flat? Or, my personal favorite, pushing so hard on your needle with the tip of your finger while applique-ing or binding something that your callous breaks open and you now have a gaping gash in your fingertip?

No?

Well, I have done all three. I know, how did I manage to sew my finger? Forgot to turn the Gammill off one day before fixing the bobbin, accidentally turned the machine on, sewed my finger. Not too fun.

Anyway, last night, while I was binding Lynsey's baby quilt for baby Jax (who is coming TOMORROW!!!!), my callous broke and now I have a gaping gash in my fingertip. It makes it quite difficult to bind the other quilt that needs binding, or to applique the two quilts that need appliques. I tried using a thimble. Problem is, it's my middle finger, so the thimble doesn't quite fit on well. Then I tried a band-aid, but the needle kept poking through the band-aid and hitting the gash, defeating the purpose. I eventually gave up. This is sad, because now I am going to get behind in my projects.

So! Anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't particularly want to wait for this to heal before I can get back to work. THANKS!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Use a bandaid, then over the bandaid put a piece of cardboard from a cereal packet and then use another bandaid over the top of that. It might take a bit of time to get used to having a thick finger but it should help.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kathi D said...

I swear I should not be around sharp objects. I stab myself repeatedly with pins and needles when I sew.

Blakely said...

I just sewed my finger this week. I wish I had so advice, but I don't. Sorry!