Saturday, January 19, 2008

Books, Books, Books!

Have you ever tried reading more than one book at a time? Recently I have been reading 10. I thought it wouldn't be too hard but: Ugh! It is a lot harder than I thought.

Back in August I started reading Stardust, by Neil Gaiman, because I wanted to see the movie. I didn't get very far. I wasn't entirely sure if I liked the book. Why should I waste my time if I didn't like it? Well, needless to say, I have purchased the book so I figure that I at least ought to finish it and give it a chance!

Then there are two books that I read off and on as parenting finds itself in need of assistance late at night. What to Expect: the Toddler Years, and Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five both give excellent advice on situations that I may possibly find myself in. Example: having a dog. My mom thought that it was not particularly wise to have a dog and a baby at the same time. Well, these books backed up the fact that dogs are good for children (Lola: you can borrow my book anytime if you need to prove a point to huzz....BTW, Petersons still have a puppy! hint hint hahaha). These books haven't necessarily been read cover to cover, but are more of an ongoing read over the next several years.

I started to read Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott, last fall/winter. I used to read nightly while I waited for Marshall to fall asleep. Sadly, I only read a few chapters, but I am determined to finish it!


As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will be reading the Jane Austen novels before they play out in movie form on PBS's Masterpiece Theater. Currently, I am reading two of her novels: Northanger Abby, and Persuasion. I love her work, but I can't wrap my head around her page long sentences sometimes! People just don't talk like that anymore, and it really confuses me sometimes - so much so that I have to read one sentence several times to make sense of what is going on. PLUS I have this problem where I really only want to read the dialogue, so I skip to the quotation marks, and then realize that I have NO CLUE of what is going on! Anyone else with that problem? I know you're out there, so go ahead and 'fess up! haha


Photobucket

Finally we come to the last 4 books I am reading (3 of which are on order, and shipped recently). My dad is a former Financial Planner, and insisted that Mike and I read this book called the Automatic Millionaire. Well, I started it about 4 years ago, and still haven't finished. I figured I ought to read it and see what all it had to teach me. That's where my books on order come in. I will, as soon as they arrive, be reading the workbook that accompanies Automatic Millionaire, as well as Smart Women Finish Rich and Smart Couples Finish Rich. I figured that he, David Bach, might have some good advice, so why not find out?

Photobucket

So, never let it be said that I haven't done my share of reading. 10 at once?! I know, I'm crazy. At least maybe one of these days I'll keep all of the plots straight!! haha

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Hi--My name's Jacqui I stumbled on your blog when I googled 'Sunday quiet book pattern.' I loved your shoe page--did you make up the pattern or did you use a pattern. I found on at Wal-mart (I see you like walmart too), but I'm too cheap to buy it. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Jacqui said...

ps I'll check back here if you want to comment or you can leave a comment on my blog iamthemotherofmykids.blogspot.com

thanks!

Joanna said...

I used Simplicity pattern 3709, but I did make a few changes in how I constructed things, and I left a few things off. I know that they can be expensive, but this one was definitely worth the money. I'm not sure how much Wal-mart charges, but check your local Jo-Anns fabrics because they sell simplicity at a discount. Also, Simplicity.com sells them a little less as well. Thanks for stopping by my blog!