Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Two more cute quilts, and three more to go

So, after much trouble with thread last week, I was finally able to find some thread that worked. Of course, this new thread didn't give me much of an easy time at all! First, it didn't fit on the cone post, so I tried sticking it on the spool post. Well of course it had to be too big to fit on the spool post, and the endcaps were small enough that they slid right through the wholes in the top and bottom. UGH!

So, I called Mike over to help me figure it out. He jimmy-rigged it so it would stay in place, and I adjusted my tension. Then, the thread wouldn't rotate on the spool post. So, I gave up with that idea. I finally decided that even though it didn't fit on the cone post that that is where it needed to be. So, I stuck it on there.

Then I discovered that the thread was wound on backwards from the thread I normally use. I have had issues with this in the past, and was worried that it would cause me the same issues again, and that I wouldn't be able to finish the quilt on Saturday as promised. I decided it was worth a shot. The last thing I wanted to do was have spent $20 on 2 different kinds of thread and not have either of them work. So, I went for it.

It WORKED! I was so happy. About an hour and a half later, the quilt was done. Of course, there were some issues with thread breakage across roll 2, and then the tip of the needle snapped off. That was totally random and interesting, yet explained the thread breakage issues. After replacing the needle, everything went quite smoothly. Rolls 3, 4, and 5 were PERFECT! You can find pictures of the cute quilt here. Sorry I didn't take any of the whole thing. I had already folded it up and my family was waiting for me in the car when I realized I hadn't taken any pictures yet.

I also finished the quilt for my other client. The one using Nest fabric. It turned out so dang cute, and my cute client Joy (not her real name) was so happy I got it done so fast. It was a really little quilt. If I had done it all in one sitting, which thanks to a very unhappy 2 year old I wasn't able to, it would have probably only taken me 1 1/2 hours to complete. Pictures of this quilt are here. Again, same deal with this one as the last one. I had already folded it up, and Joy was on her way over to pick it up when I hurried and took the pictures.

Now I just have to work on the rest of the quilts I have down there. My mother-in-law brought me one to do that she just wants a meander on, so that shouldn't take me too long. I also have one of my stash quilts from the Summer Stash that I didn't get quilted, and the Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt which is on the machine right now! Marshy was totally mesmerized by it. He even got mad when I had to stand in front of it to quilt the thing. But, it is going to be so cute. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow so I can post pictures soon. OooH! It's so cute!!

2 comments:

Neil said...

You have been spending so much time reading THOSE books that you haven't been taking any pictures. I miss the pictures! Need some soon. MUM

dana wyzard said...

and that is why I hate sewing. whew