Sunday, September 14, 2008

One of those sewing days I wish I could forget

Have you ever had one of those days when you get a sewing bug? I had one the other night. I had been poking around in my sewing stuff looking for my knitting needles. I know, why bother knitting? I was asking myself the same question. I own a really nice pair of needles, too, but for some reason I cannot find them. They aren't where I thought I left them. Anyway, I stumbled upon oodles and oodles of fabric I had completely forgotten about!

Not just any old fabric, either, but clothing fabric. Fabric I had purchased before Mike and I got married. I have fabric for a really cute skirt suit set, and a long skirt, and a cover-up skirt for my swimwear (which was apparently originally going to be a button up shirt, and then I realized I didn't have enough fabric or the correct size pattern so I made it into a skirt and it is presently pinned together awaiting completion), and a skirt that I had considered making for all of my bridesmaids (it is presently half completed, wadded up and shoved in one of the drawers....I don't think I will ever be able to fit it. I started it back before I got "mommy thighs"), and I even have baby pink stretch cotton fabric for a sleeveless shirt I was making to go under the jacket of the skirt suit set.

Well, the sewing bug bit me. I was determined to finish some of my projects. I felt like I needed the clothes, and I owed it to the beautiful yards of fabric that were stashed away in the drawers. So, I decided to start with the easiest thing: the sleeveless shirt. I pressed the pattern pieces and the fabric, laid the fabric out on the floor, and commenced with cutting.

Apparently it's been a while since I've actually used a pattern, because I seem to have lost all sense of how to sew using a pattern as I randomly laid out the pieces and then hacked away at the cloth. yep. When I went to sew it together, I realized I had cut half of the pieces (so the front and back) one way and the other half (arm and neck bands) the other way. So, instead of the shirt stretching out like it should have, it stretched vertically. Yeah, I know, way bad.

Maybe it's because I started the project at 11 PM. I'm sure that had something to do with it! At any rate, I know have some really great scraps to use in future projects. Maybe I'll have a baby girl someday and I can make her something cute from the usable remnants. Here's to hoping!

In the meantime, I will be carefully double checking all instructions when it comes to sewing with patterns. Has anyone else done this? I really hope I'm not the only one!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you're not alone! :)