Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Writer's Block

I'm writing a novel.

(This is where you laugh and tell me I'll never finish it. It's okay. I do the same thing.)

Okay. Stop laughing.

Seriously. Stop!

Thank you :)

So anyway, I'm writing a novel. I'm 163 pages into it. This is the furthest I have ever gotten. I've been working on it since June.

I am having writer's block.

I started to re-read what I've written so far.

I want to do a complete re-write.

I don't know. Maybe I'm a little too critical of myself, but parts of the novel are really good, some parts are just "eh" and some parts are bad.

Not that kind of bad! Bad like I had major writer's block and wrote crap to advance the story.

My problem is that I have 4 points: A,B,C and D. I got to point B. I know what points C and D are, but I can't figure out how to get there effectively. AAAHGHHHH!!! This is driving me crazy!

I haven't worked on it for a few weeks, hoping that would help. It did. It helped me right into a re-write of the first 16 chapters. UGH!

Okay, now that I've had my little pity-party I guess it's back to work.

4 comments:

Kathi D said...

Well, I have taken a lot of writing workshops, and they all say that they wrote 3 or 4 or MORE novels before they had anything they liked. So you're not alone! (if that helps any)

Blakely said...

I was going to say it sounds like you have a best seller on your hands. Keep working at it and it will eventually come to you.

Jessica G. said...

I'm writing a novel, too. I've been working on it for four years now, mostly in November during National Novel Writing Month. When I get writer's block, I tend to go off on tangents. Makes for some interesting storylines and usually, they're easy enough to weed out later.

But I will share with you my secret weapon: Postsecret.com. I always find inspiration and giving them secrets gives my characters a little more depth.

jenny said...

that's awesome-!!
i want to write something someday too..