Thursday, September 10, 2009

WARNING:

This post may contain political opinions. If you don't want to read it, don't, but please come back tomorrow. :D This is the last politically charged post for a while. If you do, I welcome your opinions in the comments.


Mike and I have been having a lot of discussion at home lately about where we stand on certain issues.

Issue 1: The "I Pledge" video. If you haven't seen it, here it is.




My opinion: I think it has a lot of great things in it, and it has an OVERALL good message: Help out our fellow man.

Issue 2: The President spoke to the students directly on Tuesday.

My opinion: He is the PRESIDENT. He was encouraging the youth to do their best in their schoolwork. Here is a link that my friend posted several days ago to the speech. Read it. It is good.

Issue 3: "The president is just like Hitler, Satan, the North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il, and _____."

My opinion: He is the PRESIDENT. DO NOT compare him to Hitler. Hitler killed millions of people. President Obama has not. Comparing our President to a mass-murderer is not only WRONG, it is disrespectful. My husband grew up in a home where he was taught to respect our leaders, regardless of whether their preferred person was President or not. Maybe we should all take a note and try to do better at this. I was guilty of doing it with Bush (and I voted for him). Imagine how hard it is to be President of the United States. He has a hard enough time trying to decide what is best for over 305 million people. Not each person out of that 305 million+ people are going to be 100% happy. There is no way that that could happen, short of us all having the exactly same opinion as everyone else.

Issue 4: Healthcare reform.

My opinion: I'm not going to voice my entire opinion here, because I know that this is where I get into trouble with my family. We have had several arguments. I don't particularly want to get into an argument with any of my readers. I like you all. I respect that you all have different views on health care and its reform. The one thing I will say is this: Reform is needed, and it is not going to happen strictly in the private sector. Why should it? They are the ones who are loving how much money they get from health care. What motivation do they have to change, other than their customers would like them to?

I respectfully request that you go to my friend's blog here and read what he has written about healthcare reform. Maybe, just maybe, reading this will help us all communicate a little better with each other?

In case you couldn't tell, I am not Conservative OR Liberal. I am somewhere in the middle....more toward the Liberal than the Conservative, in many respects, but in the MIDDLE. We do NOT watch Glen Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, CNN, CNBC, etc at our house. We read what is available in PRINT and make our own opinions from there.

When it came to parties, George Washington said it best: "The common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it."

Maybe we need to revisit some of GW's political beliefs and go back to our nation's roots? Maybe things wouldn't be so bad if there weren't only 2 major parties? I guess the only thing left to do is sit back and wait and see what happens, huh?

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I respect that you all have varying opinions on these issues. I welcome any nice comments. Please no name calling, derogatory remarks, etc. Please keep the comments as family-friendly as possible :)

2 comments:

Kathi D said...

No mean comments from me, because I completely agree! (Hey, that rhymes!)

I believe there are a lot of racists who just can't stand the fact that we (finally) have a black President. It makes me sad and mad. I truly believe that is behind a lot of the so-called political disagreements with him.

Did you hear about the "Christian" minister in Phoenix who is urging all his people to join him in praying for the immediate death of President Obama? What kind of Christian preaches hate?

Anonymous said...

I still re-run my yearly 9/11 tribute post to my husband and all firefighters. It still has all the ORIGINAL comments from my readers and you are there. It's kind of a trip down memory lane for all of us, and I invite readers to continue to leave comments, year after year, as a type of "blogger reunion".