Sunday, March 20, 2011

Going Natural

So, I've been slowly changing some of my personal items over from quick-and-easy-and-cheap to a more natural product.

The first thing I changed was my toothpaste.  I have gingivitis.  There.  I've said it.  The reason why is simple: I hate flossing.  I have a permanent wire retainer on my bottom teeth.  It's a pain in the butt to floss around it, so I don't.  My dentist scolds me.  My periodontist scolds me.  My hygienist scolds me.  Heck, even my mom scolds me!  But do I listen, or care?  NO!  Why?  Because it HURTS!

So, when I found out about these tooth chips by Rose of Sharon Acres, I decided to try them.  Now, they are a little pricier than normal toothpaste.  BUT, you get a lot in the 4 oz tin.  I also ordered some tooth powder.  The blurb on the website said it would "Brighten your smile" but upon reading the label, it also helps fight gingivitis.  Win. Win!

I've been using the tooth chips instead of toothpaste for about 2 weeks.  I don't want to sound like I know much of anything about teeth, but my gums are already feeling better.  I am not sure if I've mentioned it here before or not, but in December of 2009 I had gum replacement surgery.  I was 25.  Not something you'd think a 25-year-old would be having done.  I had the gums along my 4 lower/front teeth replaced.  It was painful.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  I have been going back every 3 weeks-6 months ever since.  I went a few weeks ago, and I don't have to go back for another year.  It's finally starting to be where the periodontist wants it to be.

But my good news?  I checked today, and the spot isn't as red and inflamed as it normally is.  I can't say it's because I've been flossing, because I haven't.  It has to be partly due to the fact that I am using an all-natural item to brush my teeth.  And it rocks.


I'm going to make another confession here.  I have acne.  I have always had acne.  It sucks.  I've dealt with it.  I've moved on.  Except that it keeps coming back.  I am at the end of my rope as to what to do with it.  I've tried Nuetrogena, Pond's, Biore, Clearasil, Stridex, etc, but nothing seemed to really work totally.

I decided it was time for a change.  I needed something that was actually going to work.  About a year ago, I had a sample of Bert's Bees new facial care line.  It was fabulous.  I loved it.  Until it got dumped into the tub by Marshy (did I mention it was open at the time?).  So, when i went to the store tonight, i looked for a new product in the Bert's Bees line that I could use.

Instead of finding just 1 item, i bought 4.  The cleanser, the scrub, the toner, and the moisturizer.  I have oodles of samples of the spot treatment at home, so I din't bother buying those as well.

I just washed my face with the stuff and it feels amazing.  I just hope I can remember to wash at AM and PM!
The moisturizer was the most expensive of the bunch, at $16.  Everything else was around $8.  Woohoo! Good prices for sure.

What are you doing to go natural, or green, or whatever?  I would love to hear about it! :)

No comments: