Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dr. Muse and the Ketones


Remember them? Weren't they great? Some people say yes. Some people say no. Some people are undecided.

Lately I've been listening to their "Number Ones" album, and it's okay. Not as good as I remember, but maybe that's just because my music taste has changed.

I was listening to the CD the other day, when "From me to you" came on. Remember that one?
If there's anything that you want
If there's anything I can do
Just call on me and I'll send it along
With love from me, to you.

Well, boy did that bring back memories! Imagine, if you will, that it is the spring of 2002, and there are three senior girls standing on the enormous high school stage (the biggest stage this side of the Mississippi....it was our claim to fame. Well, that and our state winning drama department). Imagine three senior girls standing on this huge stage armed with nothing but three microphones, two guitars, a keyboard, and an orange. The orange was a shaker thingy that looked like an orange. I was really good at it, too!

We were the Ketones. "Charles" played lead guitar. "Cher" played 2nd quitar. I played keyboard and orange. We all sang. WE WERE AWESOME! A few feet behind us was a drum set. A few feet behind that was the curtain. And behind the curtain? Another drum set and some kid from band. I think his name was Jake. He was our drummer.

"But what were the other drums for?" you ask. Well, our principal, Dr. Muse, just happened to sport the mop-top hairstyle! YES! He totally looked like one of the BEATLES! It was AWESOME!

We walked onto the stage, followed by the Principal. When he sat down at the drums the entire auditorium (filled with most of the school) started screaming. We sang "From me to you". It was great. We had practiced for weeks, and it had paid off. We were the hit of the senior talent assembly. And I'm not just saying that because I was in the group.... everyone loved that we got the principal up there pretending to play the drums. It was a whole new side no one had seen of him. It was GREAT!

No comments: